Max Messier, Owner / Bar Chef – Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot is a new, conceptual bar and restaurant slated to open in Brooklyn, NY in Fall 2011. It will serve the general public of New York City as the first market-driven and handcrafted cocktail emporium and kitchen equipped with a custom-built iPad Beverage Menu system. Under Foxtrot’s roof, we’ll have a bar full of craft distilled spirit selections, eclectic New American and International fusion culinary selections, local and nation craft beer taps, wine on tap and an extensive bottle list, a multitude of seasonal and monthly hand-crafted cocktail menus and signature house-produced collection of syrups, vermouths and bitters.
1. Top five songs spinning on your iPod (or record player!) right now:
1. Holy Ghost – Jam for Jerry
2. Iron Maiden – Wasted Years
3. We Were Promised Jetpacks – Act on Impulse
4. Cold Cave – Confetti
5. Robyn – Call Your Girlfriend
2. Your most “rock-star” maneuver behind the bar:
I have a tendency to light stuff on fire. A bit of a cliché but give me some Chartreuse and fresh herbs or a citrus peel plus an open flame and it’s on like Donkey Kong
3. The cocktail or spirit that best describes your personality:
Campari – a bit gruff on the first sip and then so goddamn bright and refreshing at the finish.
4. Best music to close up to after last call:
It’s a toss up between the beautiful decay of Salem versus the smooth and subtle voice of Mr. Conway Twitty.
5. Bizarre, unexpected, surprisingly delicious cocktail recipe:
Mr. Disco – Sage Tea-infused silver rum, my own Pineapple Paradise Syrup with honeysuckle, pink peppercorns and cardamom and my Pineapple of My Eye Bitters
6. Best concert you have seen in the last 5 years:
I have two amazing shows – Robyn at The House of Blues in Cleveland (February 2nd, 2011) and VNV Nation at the DNA Lounge in San Francisco (March 16th, 2010). A grown man shouldn’t shed that many tears during a two-hour concert.
7. Favorite drinking song(s):
My whisk(e)y and me love to sing the songs of The National, The Smiths, The Cure, Tegan and Sara and of course – Mr. Conway Twitty.
8. Imagine you are in a band: what are you called and what do you sound like?
The Family Secrets – We are an electro-future-pop/doom metal/math rock/industrial country western band.
9. If you could have a conversation across the stick with any rock star (alive or dead) who would it be, and what one question would you ask him/her?
The rock stars would be Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe and I would ask ‘em how has it been possible for each of them to stay together for the past 30 years as Pet Shop Boys.
10. Choose a band or song and create a signature “Rocktail” for our readers! Include drink name, recipe, preparation and glassware.
Guns of Brixton
Chinese Gunpowder Iced Tea, Willet Pot Still Reserve Bourbon, Campari and Demerara Syrup with a lemon twist.
Brew tea and settle to room temperature. 2 oz Iced Tea, 1.5 oz Willet Pot Still Reserve Bourbon (or Jim Beam Black Label), .25 oz Campari and .25 oz Demerara Syrup (1 part hot water & 2 parts turbinado sugar)
Shake and strain over ice into an old-fashioned tumbler. A single lemon peel twisted for a fly-by over glass and then slotted into the drink. We have cocktail magic!