Artist: Leftover Cuties
Hails From: Los Angeles, CA
1: The one bottle of liquor that is on your rider at all times:
Bottle? We actually request empty baby bottles, and fill them with various libations . (We all have different tastes.) And the cool thing is, No matter how drunk you get, it’s impossible to spill!!
2. The cocktail or spirit that best describes your personality:
“the Cuties personality is spicy, dreamy, meloncholy and unpredictable. So that would be a drink called a “Leftover Cutini” The ingredients are 90 proof Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, warmed over a red candle , stirred with a folded page of beaudelaires “Favors of the Moon”and served in a kush prescription bottle dusted with ambien.
3. Favorite bar you discovered on tour:
Our favorite bar on tour was a girls-only bar in peducah kentucky called ”Clam Slam..” Shirli got abducted by some rowdy fans after the show and the guys in the band had to go fetch her. We almost didn’t get her back !!
4. Most tragic or triumphant inebriated moment on stage. Spill it!
Ok…How about both? One tragic moment would have to be the night we celebrated austins birthday onstage with jello shots and he had a wardrobe malfunction. He just lowered the strap on his ukelele and kept playing.. The ladies on the front row would probably call that a triumph though.
5. Raw eggs in cocktails: Gross or Glorious?
That Depends on if you are spitting or swallowing…..
6. Best late night grub hub after a night of drinking:
Our trumpet player mike bolgers backyard bbq… After Soloman Burke passed ( god rest his soul ) mike became the reigning champ!! His grilled butternut squash will make you wanna slap your mama!!
7. Your band’s drinking toast of choice (think “cheers” not “bread”):
“hey, are you gonna drink that?”
8. Finish this sentence: Last time I took home a bar man or maid…
“………she tapped me, pulled my nozzle and wiped me down with a towel….” no seriously we read the bible and went for a walk. It really wasn’t all that exciting.
9. Your favorite hometown watering hole:
The L.A. Phil-BAR-Monic…. Its open early, the crowd is well dressed and its filled with classical musicians ( they are a RANDY bunch !! )
10. The song on your newest album best enjoyed with a boozy buzz:
thats a curious question since the entire record was recorded with a boozy buzz , haha…. Um, if you are a girl jumping up and down on the couch and wanna get crazy then Places To Go… If you are a smooth dude trying to get busy with your special lady friend on a saturday night then definitely I Miss You…. ( it works 60% of the time , EVERY TIME ! )Leftover Cuties - Places To Go
Rocktail: The Leftover Cutini No. 2
Description: Conjuring images of moonlit soirees and after-hours whiskey joints, Leftover Cuties’ noir-pop debut LP, Places To Go, will be released May 31. You may also recognize their music from Showtime’s original series, The Big C, as the group has the title track with “Game Called Life”.
Looking back at the band’s autobiographical personality-defining cocktail “The Leftover Cutini” (from question # 2 in our interview), these guys definitely know how to put together a potent (or more so psychedelic) potion. While we wait with baited breath to hear stories about how their version faired amongst partygoers, we’ve decided to keep this cocktail’s well-suited name and give it a robust sibling. Like it’s namesake band, “The Leftover Cutini No. 2″ aka The Freeman’s Cocktail originally created by master mixologist Eben Freeman, honors the past while carving out it’s own unique niche in the present. Paired with the Cuties’ sound in each layered component, the spicy, smooth and well-rounded Bulleit Rye (new on the market since this March) forms the backbone. Pomegranate molasses adds a bright, tart savoriness which is complemented by fresh lemon juice. A touch of sweetness brings balance, and a few dashes of orange bitters fosters delectable integration. The smoky mist garnish from flamed orange oil is an ode to Shirli McAllen’s sultry vocals, which drift languidly over the quintet’s diverse rhythm section.
Be sure to pour the suggested double serving so you there is enough liquid leftover to fill your own “Cutie” to replenish your glass!
- 4 oz Bulleit Rye
- 2 heaping bar spoons of Alwadi Pomegranate Molasses.
- 1.5 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 oz of simple syrup
- 3 dashes of Orange Bitters (50/50 blend of Fee Brothers West Indian Orange Bitters, and Regan’s Orange Bitters No. 6)
- Flamed orange peel to garnish
Glass: Coupe w / sidecar pitcher (i.e. the cutie)
- Chill coupe in the freezer or let sit with ice water for a few minutes while prepping.
- In a mixing glass combine all ingredients.
- Shake hard over fresh ice for 10 seconds.
- Strain into pre-chilled coupe glass and serve with flamed orange peel garnish.
Leftover Cuties Links: